Sunday, February 28, 2016
Tom And Chuck - Victor V-40305
White River Road / At The End Of The Lane
recorded August 15, 1930 in Hollywood, California
Here`s another "only disc recorded by these artists" disc. The artists names were Tom Murray and Chuck Cook. The were members of Beverly Hill Billies and I assumed there was a connection between both out fits recording till I noticed the Beverly Hill Billies recorded for Brunswick. I had assumed also that Tom & Chuck were the same Tom that recorded in 1933 as Tom & Don and Tom & Roy, but they are not. That`s about the only information I know about these artists. There may be some information on the "interweb" if you are interested in looking. The songs have kind of the pop-ish sound some country records had at the time, as in a pop type tune performed in a country fashion. My copy of this disc is nearly mint, so the sound quality is great. Enjoy!
Click here to download Tom And Chuck - Victor V-40305
I`ll be the first person to admit that Jimmie Skinner had a "unique" voice, but I sure like him. I`m thinking this is about the last record he made. He was kinda on both sides of the country/bluegrass fence. He wrote many songs recorded by both type of artists, and even on some of his own recordings where he recorded a song more than once he himself could sound like bluegrass or country. So if you are unfamiliar with him, I`d say give this a download!
Click here to download Jimmie Skinner`s #1 Bluegrass
Here we are once again with the next Bill Ring Show. Happy listening!
Track list for show #47---
1. Anytime - Bill Ring
2. Papa`s Jumpin` - Speedy Haworth & Doc Martin
3. Land Beyond The Sun - Slim Wilson And The Tall Timber Trio
4. The Little Girl In My Hometown - Bill Ring
5. Remington Ride - Speedy Haworth
6. Mon And Dad`s Waltz - Bill Ring
Track list for show #48---
1. Detour - Bill Ring
2. Midnight - Speedy Haworth
3. I Long To Tell You - Sally Briggs
4. Sunbonnet Sue - Bill Ring
5. Sugar Moon - Doc Martin
6. Nobody`s Business - Bill Ring & Sally Briggs
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #47&48
Monday, February 22, 2016
Burke Brothers - Victor V-40294
At Last My Dreams Have Come True / Lonesome And Lonely
recorded October 22, 1929 in Dallas, Texas
Here is another group that recorded only one disc. I really don`t know any information about them other than they had recorded with Jimmie Rodgers. Both songs are what, at the time, I`d call "pop-ish" country. They aren`t outstanding sides, but are quite nice in voice and I really like the lap style steel played in the early country-Hawaiian style. Happy listening!
Click here to download Burke Brothers - Victor V-40294
How about some old-time banjo pickin`?! Mr. Bird certainly pounds out these tunes on the banjo in a very hard-driving style. Mighty fine music here!
Click here to download Elmer Bird - Home Sweet Home
Here`s the next Bill Ring Show.
Track list for show #45---
1. Shame On You - Bill Ring
2. String Stealin` - Speedy Haworth
3. A Sinner`s Prayer - Bill Ring
4. Pretty Little Girl With The Pretty Little Curls - Slim Wilson & The Tall Timber Trio
5. Get Up And Go - Doc Martin
6. Peace In The Valley - Bill Ring
Track list for show #46---
1. A Bundle Of Southern Sunshine - Bill Ring
2. Raining Teardrops From My Eyes - Speedy Haworth
3. Why Can`t You Be Mine - Sally Briggs
4. Make Room In Your Heart For A Friend - Bill Ring
5. Stay Away From My Heart - Doc Martin
6. I Believe - Bill Ring
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #45-46
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Williams and Williams - Columbia 15172-D
In The Garden / Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet
Recorded March 29, 1927 in Atlanta, Georgia
Here is another "only issued" disc in our series. I have NO information on these artists except what can be read on the label. It`s just a pleasant gospel performance. In The Garden has to be one of the best known gospel songs. Though Your Sins Be As Scarlet is an unfamiliar song to me. Enjoy!
Click here to download Williams and Williams - Columbia 15172-D
Here`s a nice budget label LP. I think the Nashville label was mostly re-issued material from Starday and possibly King. I`m pretty sure I have about all of these cuts on other LP`s in my own collection. I know a few of the songs on this LP are even posted on this blog already on other LP`s. At any rate, we might as well enjoy this music again collected in this LP. After all, it says right on the cover it`s a "Special Collectors Edition"! Happy listening!
Click here to download Country Express - 16 Rompin` Stompin` Country Instrumentals
Well, we`ve had some ice here in the Ozarks today, and you know what that means in the Archive--- a Hawaiian post to keep us warm. Here`s a nice 78 album to keep us warm. I really like the art work on the cover.
1. Song Of The Islands
2. Kuu Aloha E Maliu Mai
4. Hapa Haole Hula Girl
5. Sweet Lei Lehua
6. Pua Kale Poni
7. Aloha Oe
8. Liliu E
Click here to download Ray Andrade And His Orchestra - South Sea Serenades
Here is the next Bill Ring Show disc. Enjoy!
Track list show #43---
1. There`s Been A Change In Me - Bill Ring
2. Ragtime Melody - Speedy Haworth
3. Just An Evening At Home - Slim Wilson & The Tall Timber Trio
4. Jealous Heart - Bill Ring
5. guitar instrumental duet - Doc Martin & Speedy Haworth
6. Jesus Savior Pilot Me - Bill Ring
Track list show #44---
1. Tennessee Border - Bill Ring
2. The Blue Guitar Stomp - Doc Martin
3. Someone To Care - Sally Briggs
4. Dime A Dozen - Bill Ring
5. guitar solo - Speedy Haworth
6. A Part Time Job Will Do - Bill Ring & Sally Briggs
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #43-44
Sunday, February 7, 2016
This post is by an artist often overlooked in the "old-time" music category as a pioneer. Jasper Bisbee is definatly an old-time fiddler, but not in the southern style. He is what I`d consider mostly a New England style fiddler. He has, to my ear, more of a jig fiddling style that I kind of associate with Scotch-Irish styles of fiddling. It`s a more precise style than most southern styles.
He was born in New York state in 1843, making him one of the oldest people to ever record, regardless of music style. He would have been 80 when he cut these sides! He also would have been one of the earliest country artists to record, as these sides were recorded November 24, 1923. Half of these tunes (Money Musk, Girl I Left Behind Me, The Devil`s Dream) are fairly common fiddle tunes, the other half (College Hornpipe, McDonald`s Reel, Opera Reel) are pretty much unknown to me. For further information on him, just do a google search as there are a couple of articles out there about him.
My discs are in pretty good condition except for just a few spots here and there, so sound quality is pretty good. Edisons recording style (sound recorded vertically in the grooves) was really superior to most all other companies at the time, so if you find a pretty nice condition disc, they usually sound good if you have the right equipment to play them on.
Jasper Bisbee - Edison 51278
Opera Reel / McDonald`s Reel
Jasper Bisbee - Edison 51381
Money Musk / The Girl I Left Behind Me - Medley
Jasper Bisbee - Edison 51382
College Hornpipe / The Devil`s Dream
Click here to download Jasper Bisbee - complete Edison recordings
Here`s a pretty rare LP. I`d say these were only sold at Renfro Valley as a souvenir. I`m sure since the catalog number for this ist 112 that this is at least the second LP issued, or possibly the twelfth, assuming they may have started the numbers at 100 or 101. I`ve never found another LP from there. What we have here is some good, real, country music from artists that were on the Renfro Valley Barn Dance. Most of the artists will be unknown to most blog followers I`d say unless you were familiar with the barn dance at the time these artists performed. Probably the best known artist on here is Old Joe Clark, who was a long time performer on the show with comedy and several banjo picking styles. Happy downloading!
Click here to download John Lair`s Renfro Valley Barn Dance
Here`s the next Bill Ring Show---enjoy!
Track list for show #41---
1. Bringin` Home The Bacon - Bill Ring
2. Wedding Ring - Speedy Haworth
3. It`s A Cowboy Life For Me - Slim Wilson & The Tall Timber Trio
4. A Prison Without Any Walls - Bill Ring
5. Sittin` On Top Of The World - Doc Martin
6. When Jesus Beckoned Me Home - Bill Ring
Track list for #42---
1. You Can`t Break My Heart - Bill Ring
2. Three Miles South Of Cash In Arkansas - Doc Martin
3. I`ll Go On Alone - Sally Briggs
4. If Teardrops Were Pennies - Bill Ring
5. Blacksmith Blues - Speedy Haworth
6. That Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine - Bill Ring
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #41-42